Australian High Commission
Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, eSwatini

Notarial Services

What are Notarial services?


Notarial services are offered in person and by appointment only at the Australian High Commission in Pretoria. Please visit Smartraveller before booking an appointment to learn about the different types of notarial services we offer and requirements before we can perform them. Please bring your valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.

Please also check under the "local suppliers" section of this page to find information on South African notaries public and the notarial services they may be able to perform for you.

Notarial fees

The High Commission in governed by the Consular Fees Act 1955 and the fees charged are stipulated therein.  Fees are payable at the time of appointment using a credit or debit card.  Diner’s Club, American Express or virtual cards are not accepted.  All payments are made in AUD only.  Current notarial fees can be accessed using the below link. Note the fees are payable per document/signature and per copy and are non-refundable.


Credit Card Authorisation Form


To make a notarial appointment at the Australian High Commission in Pretoria, please click here:



Australian Driver's Licence Renewals


The Australian High Commission in Pretoria can witness signatures and endorse photos for driver's licence renewal forms. We cannot renew the licences. We also cannot assist with verification of driver's licence letters for converting your licence to a local one.  Please contact the relevant road authority in Australia to obtain the necessary form for renewing your licence while residing overseas.  



Do you provide notarial services from anywhere else in South Africa?

No - unfortunately these services are only available from the Australian High Commission in Pretoria.

The form says I can use a JP or police officer but I can't find one who is willing to do this in South Africa. What can I do? 

Generally the guidance about who can witness or legalise a document is provided with the assumption you are in Australia, where police and JP's are commonly used for these services. This is not the case in South Africa or once you are overseas.

I've been told I need to get this done by the High Commission.  Is there someone else I can use?

Some organisations - such as your bank or a Government agency - may stipulate that you must use an Australian Embassy or High Commission if you are overseas.  We would recommend you contact the authority  you get your documents legalised and ask who they will or won't accept. Some agencies may accept a local solicitor or notary public to perform these services.

I've been asked to get you to verify my ID, what documents do I need to bring into you?

We cannot advise you on what documents you may need to provide. If you have questions about what is required you need to seek clarification from the agency who is requesting that you have this done.

Why does this cost money when I can get it for free in Australia?  

The charges for the overseas provision of these services is set by the Consular Fees Act 1955.


Local Suppliers


Often it is not necessary for a consular officer to perform the notarial service requested. We would recommend that you contact the organisation or authority requesting the document and ask for a list of suppliers who may perform the service. Australia and Germany are party to the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents and often a certified copy of a document or a signature witnessed by a South African notary public (with an English stamp) and an apostille affixed to the document by the South African authorities is sufficient.

You can find notaries public in South Africa here. The search engine allows you to search for notaries public in your area. You can filter your search by location and language. We recommend contacting the notary public in advance to ensure that they have an English stamp for the certification/authentication. 

If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to witnessing signatures on a particular document, you should seek independent legal advice. The Australian High Commission Pretoria cannot provide legal advice.

The Statutory Declarations Regulations 2018 (the Regulations) commenced on 18 September 2018. The Regulations now specify that a notary public (however described) appointed overseas, exercising his or her functions at that place, is able to witness a Commonwealth statutory declaration. This is in addition to the ability of notary publics appointed in Australia to witness Commonwealth statutory declarations.


Statutory Declarations


STATUTORY DECLARATIONS - Please complete the statutory declaration (do not sign) and have it ready for an officer to witness your signature at the Australian High Commission. For a copy of a blank statutory declaration form, please click here.


Australian High Commission Pretoria do not provide translation services. Please visit for a list of certified translators and interpreters.


Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage


By providing a notarial service, the Australian government is not endorsing, verify or making any statement as to the accuracy, truth, legality or otherwise of the contents of the document or the purposes for which the document may be used. 

Please ensure that documents relating to the notarial services you require from the Australian High Commission are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notarial service you require. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to the notarial service you require, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Australian High Commission guarantees the legal effectiveness of the notarised document or the accuracy of its content. Fees paid for notarial services are non-refundable.